BenthicSQALL Update History
Version 3.0 Build 44 - June 6, 2014
Redesigned and enhanced Login Dialog with many new features:
- Ability to sort the list of Quick Logins
- Ability to search the list of Quick Logins
- Ability to specify a category and comment for Quick Login items
- Ability to specify a tab background color for a Quick Login item
- Ability to edit multiple Quick Login items at once
- Ability to filter the Quick Login list by Username, Category or Data Source
- Ability to import and export the Quick Login list
- Ability to login to a database in Read Only mode
- When logging in using a quick login item, if you successfully login using a password that is different from the currently
saved password for the quick login item, the new password will automatically be saved for the quick login item (if password saving is allowed).
New Cell Details window:
- Displays the contents of a cell in a popup window, allowing user to view the full text of the cell, search for text, and copy text to the clipboard
- Displayed when user double clicks on a cell, selects the new "View/Cell Details Window" menu item, or presses the new Ctrl-F11 hotkey when not in Edit Mode
- Includes options to wrap text and to display "CR/LF" and tab characters
The "Comma Delimited (CSV)" file format has been renamed "CSV" and the following options have been added to this format:
- Always Qualify Fields
- Use SemiColon instead of comma
The "Tab Delimited" file format has been renamed "Delimited" (allowing any delimiter to be used) and the following options have been added to this format:
- Field Delimiter
- Record Delimiter
- Field Qualifier
- Always Qualify Fields
- The Include Headers option has been added to the HTML Export
The HTML export has been updated to be compatible with HTML 5
- Usage of the ALIGN and VALIGN attributes (deprecated in HTML 5) has been removed. An embedded style sheet is now used to specify this information in the HTML.
- A new "Table Class Name" option has been added to the HTML Advanced Export options, allowing a class name for the table to be specified in the HTML (defaults to "DataTable")
- Added the ability to export directly to an Excel file (via new "Excel File" option for the File Format)
- Added the ability to export to Live Excel from the Advanced Export Window via new "Excel" option for the File Format
- Added the ability to export to Live Calc from the Advanced Export Window via new "Calc (OpenOffice/LibreOffice)" option for the File Format
The Live Excel, Live Calc and Excel File Exports have the following new options:
- Template Filename
- Worksheet Name
- Starting Cell
- Export Empty Strings as NULL
- Force Cell by Cell transfer method (this option is only available for Live Excel)
Added the ability to save the options specified in the Advanced Export Window as the default options for an Export Format
(for future Quick Exports, Advanced Exports and Script Exports)
- The advanced Export window has been redesigned to incorporate new options/features
- The new "Excel File" export format has been added as an option for Quick Export
New Script Commands:
- EXPORT - allows users to export to CSV, Tab-Delimited, XML, HTML, Excel File, Live Excel and Live Calc formats directly from a script
- SPOOL - allows users to spool results to a text file and/or the Text Pane
SET ENCODING - allows users to specify the encoding used when exporting via the new EXPORT script command or spooling to a text file
via new SPOOL command
- SET ECHO, SET FEEDBACK and SET HEADING - allows users to set spooling options
- CONNECT and DISCONNECT - allows users to login/logout from a script
New Command Line Parameters:
- -m - Minimize BenthicSQALL on startup
- -u - Specifies username. Allows specifying login information via the comand line.
- -p - Specifies password. Allows specifying login information via the comand line (must be used in conjunction with -u command line parameter).
- -c - Specifies connection string. Allows logging in via the comand line (must be used in conjunction with -u command line parameter).
- -q - Specifies a Quick Login Name (defined in login dialog). Allows logging in via the command line using a pre-defined quick login name.
- -nl - No login window. Prevents login window from being displayed on startup (useful for autorunning a script with a CONNECT statement at the beginning)
- -a - Specifies a script to run on application startup
- -x - Exit BenthicSQALL after running startup script (only applicable when used in conjunction with the -a parameter)
Added the ability to format SQL statements
- New "Edit/SQL Formatter/Reformat SQL" menu item - Reformats selected statement(s) or entire script (if no selection)
- New "Edit/SQL Formatter/SQL Formatter Options" menu item - Displays SQL Formatter Options window allowing users to set SQL formatting options
- New SQLFormatter toolbar button
- Added the ability to run stored procedures
Added the following new options:
- Default Script Directory: default directory for scripts and workspaces (on the General tab of the Options window)
- Default Spool Directory: default directory for spool files (on the General tab of the Options window)
- Display Cell Hints: Display a hint box when hovering the mouse over a cell where the text doesn't fit in the cell (on the Results Grid tab of the Options Window)
- Text to show in NULL fields: Text to show in a field containing a null value (instead of showing a blank cell) (on the Results Grid tab of the Options Window)
- Autosize Columns: Determines if the columns in the Results Grid will be automatically autosized after a query is run (on the Results Grid tab of the Options Window)
- Improved performance when copying large amounts of Results Grid data to the clipboard
In the SQLBuilder, you can now sort items in the list of tables/views/stored procedures by clicking on the column header.
In addition, the selection will now be shown even when the list is not focused.
- A new "Read Only" indicator is displayed on the status bar when the current database login is in read only mode.
- The confirmation message that is displayed when deleting records from the results grid now includes the number of records that are going to be deleted.
The Command Timeout option (on the General tab of the Options window) no longer has a maximum value of 100. There is now no maximum value
for this option. In addition, a hint has been added to the option to describe it's functionality and indicate that a value of 0 means no
The Connection Timeout option (specified on Quick Logins defined in the Login Window) no longer has a maximum value of 100. There is now no maximum
value for this option. In addition, a hint has been added to the option to describe it's functionality and indicate that a value of 0 means
no connection timeout.
- Redesigned About box (includes links for the Benthic web site and contacting Benthic support)
- Additional diagnostics added to diagnostics window
The "Help/Register this Program" menu item will now bring you to a window allowing you to register BenthicSQALL (instead of just displaying
instructions for registering), and is now only displayed if you have not registered the product.
- The "Help/Unresister this Program" menu item is now only displayed if you have registered BenthicSQALL.
- If edit mode is exited while a record edit is in progress, the edited record is now saved.
- If an error (such as a constraint violation) occurs while pasting data into the results grid, the error is now correctly reported.
- A wait cursor is now displayed when records are deleted from the results grid.
- If all the records are deleted from a result set, the "blank" insert row is now displayed in the grid to allow new records to be inserted.
- A "..." is now displeyed at the end of the text in a cell when a CR/LF is causing the entire text not to fit in the cell.
- When running a saved script without a CR/LF at the end, after running the script, the the tab would be marked as modified. This has been fixed.
When files were opened or saved, the tab hint displaying the full filename was not displaying for that tab until another tab was added or
tabs were moved. This has been fixed.
- The Command Timeout option is now applying to SQL command statements (i.e. INSERT, UPDATE, etc). (Was previously only working for SELECT statements).
- In the Script editor, when double clicking (to highlight a word) on words inside of single or double quotes, the quotes will no longer be included in the selection.
In the SQL Builder, fixed bug causing the schema name not to be added before the table name for the the first item in the Schema List when
the "Add Schema Name to Tables" option was selected.
In the SQL Builder, fixed bug causing an access violation when double clicking when the mouse was not over one of the list items in one of
the SQL Builder panes.
If an invalid character ('-' or '/') is specified for the statement termination character in the SET TERM script command, an error message
is now displayed.
Version 2.1 Build 34 - July 11, 2011
- Bind Variable support (See "how to use bind variables" in the help file.)
- Prompt Variable support (See "how to use prompt variables" in the help file.)
- New "Variables" submenu has been added to the Script menu with the following options:
- Edit the Current tab's defined Prompt Variables
- Clear All Prompt Variables in current tab
- Clear All Bind Variables in current tab
- Added the following new Options related to Prompt Variables (set on the Workspaces & Variables tab of Options window).
- Scan for Prompt Variables. Default value is True.
- Scan in comments (only available when "Scan for Prompt Variables" option is checked). Default value is False.
- Hide before/after sql in prompt window (only available when "Scan for Prompt Variables" option is checked). Default value is False.
- Results area now has two panes (selected via Tabs displayed in the status bar)
- The Results tab displays the results grid. The (new) Text tab displays the results of variable display commands.
- A New menu item has been added to the View menu to toggle between the two tabs (Toggle Results/Text Views).
- Tabs can also be toggled with new Hotkey F12.
- Performance improvements to pasting many records at once into the datagrid.
- New "Close Other Tabs" menu item has been added to the context sensitive menu displayed for editor tabs.
- The full filename (including path) will now be displayed when hovering the mouse over a tab.
- Added new "Add Schema Name to Tables" option to the SQL Builder tab of the Options window. If this option is checked, table names
will be prefixed with the schema name when pasted from the SQL Builder. (Note that this option is only applicable when a database
has more than one schema and the schema information is returned by the driver). The default value for this option is False/unchecked.
- Bug Fix: SQL statements starting with the "with" command will now properly display the returned result set
- Bug Fix: SQL select statements that start with an "(" character, for example: (select * from emp), will now properly
display the returned result set.
- Bug Fix: When running scritpts, the editor cursor will now correctly scroll into view when the script has completed.
- Bug Fix: When pasting text into the script editor, the cursor will now correctly scroll into view after the paste.
Version 2.0 Build 32 - June, 7, 2010
- Full Unicode support.
- Workspace support.
- Improved Export options.
- Increased Tab options.
- Improvements to the SQLBuilder for many drivers.
- Many small visual and performance improvements.
Version 1.1 Build 12 - April 30, 2009
- Improved: The SQL builder will now display the object type - "Table", "View", "Procedure" or "Function".
- Improved: Export to Excel will work with Excel 2007's higher row and column limits.
Version 1.0 Build 11 - February 28, 2008
- Fixed: When the database driver reports that a field is a "memo" the text will be displayed in the grid.
Version 1.0 Build 10 - November 1, 2007